This Lent, you are encouraged to raise up the needs of the world in prayer, to sacrifice by giving up food and material wants, and to offer your time, talent and treasure as good stewards of the gifts God has given you.
The Church keeps Lent from Ash Wednesday until the evening of Holy Thursday by the threefold discipline of fasting, alms giving and prayer.
Abstinence from meat is to be observed by all Catholics 14 years and older on all Fridays of Lent. Fasting is to be observed on Good Friday by all Catholics who are 18 years of age but not yet 59. Those who meet the criteria may take only one full meal. Two small meals are permitted is necessary to maintain strength according to one’s needs; however, eating solid foods between meals is not permitted.
Setting aside time for prayer and reflection is to be observed in preparation for the celebration of Easter as we renew our Baptismal vows.
Taking part in Operation Rice Bowl gives a focus to alms giving by supporting Catholic Relief Service in their development projects overseas. These projects help individuals and communities use their own potential and capacity to improve their lives. By contributing to CRS Rice Bowl, participants give more than money contributions help provide the resources and training that empower communities to create sustainable change.
* Faith Sharing Groups will be meeting throughout Lent at various time and various locations. Contact Kevin at the Rectory if you would like more information.
* Stations of the Cross will be prayed at 2:00 pm on the following Fridays, February 20, March 6, March 13, March 27 and at 3:00 pm on Good Friday, April 3.
* Lenten Reconciliation will be Friday, February 27. Individual confession will be available in the afternoon from 2:00-5:00 pm. Communal Reconciliation in the spirit of Taizé will begin at 7:00 pm.
* Lenten Reflections with the Ladies’ Friendship Club take place Thursday, March 12.
* Song and Story: a Reflection will take place in the Church on Wednesday, Mar ch 18 at 7:00pm. Join Fr. Dom and Mark Teresi in an evening of prayer.
Thursday, February 12
* 12:30pm ~ Friendship Club in the Social Hall.
Friday, February 13
* 7:00pm ~ Mardi Gras Cabaret Night in the Gym.
Wednesday, February 18
* Ash Wednesday/Lent Begins
* 7:30am ~ Mass (Ashes distributed during Mass.)
* 6:00pm ~ Ashes distributed.
* 7:00pm ~ Mass (Ashes distributed during Mass.)
Friday, February 27
7:00pm ~ Lenten Reconciliation Service
Friday, February 13
7:00pm in the Gym
$15 in advance
$20 at the door
Childcare will be available by W.O.W. teens from 7:00-9:00pm.
$15 for one child and $5 for each additional child.
RSVP to Abby at
Program includes jazz, French, folk, Irish and easy listening music, as well as Broadway numbers and love songs. The evening will end with dancing to the music of Tom Martin and friends.
To purchase tickets online, go to
And search for St. Gertrude or stop by the Rectory.
Tuesday, January 27
* 7:00pm ~ Dream Workshop in the Rectory.
Thursday, January 29
* 9:00am ~ Retired Men’s Club in the Ministry Center.
Saturday, January 31
* 9:00-10:00am ~ Minister of the Word training.
* 10:30-11:30am ~ Eucharistic Minister training.
* 9:00-10:00am ~ Market Day pick-up.
Once again, a number of faith-sharing groups will be offered during the coming Lenten season. Below is a list of groups, sign-up to participate in groups that interest you next weekend in Church.
Read, Reflect, Pray – Lectio Divina (Adults)
Facilitated by Christine Curran
February 24 – March 24 at 7:00pm
Location: Rectory Parlor
Women’s Group (Women Only)
Facilitated by Mary Ann O’Conner
February 24 – March 24 from 7:00-8:30pm
Location: 1400 W. Hood Ave
Focus: Reflection on Scripture from the upcoming
Sunday with a focus on the Gospel reading